By Regina F. Bendix,Galit Hasan-Rokem
- An exceptional number of unique, cutting-edge essays on folklore authored by way of foreign experts
- Examines the practices and theoretical ways constructed to appreciate the phenomena of folklore
- Considers folklore within the context of multi-disciplinary subject matters that come with poetics, functionality, non secular perform, fantasy, ritual and image, oral textuality, background, legislation, politics and tool in addition to the social base of folklore
- Selected via selection as a 2013 striking educational Title
Read Online or Download A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Best folklore & mythology books
The paintings offers a different research of superheroes and gods in literature, pop culture, and old fantasy. the writer selects a few mythological figures (e. g. , Babylonia’s Gilgamesh and Enkidu), historical gods (e. g. , Greece’s Eros and Tartarus), and smooth superheroes (e. g. , the U.S.’ Superman and Captain wonder) and identifies the usually outstanding similarities among every one precise type of characters.
Parmi les milliers de tablettes cunéiformes en langue sumérienne ou accadienne, remontant quelquefois aux environs de three 000 ans avant J. - C. , exhumées par les archéologues du sous-sol de l'Iraq actuel, figurent des " chants d'amour " qui évoquent le ceremony de los angeles hiérogamie, c'est-à-dire de l'union du souverain du can pay, émanation du Dieu, avec une prostituée sacrée substitut d'Inanna, los angeles déesse de los angeles fécondité, pour assurer à son peuple d'abondantes récoltes et los angeles multiplication des espèces.
Boilermakers watch out: there is a darkish and mystery aspect to Lafayette's historical past that's certain to ship shivers down the backbone. From storied specters and concrete legends, like Amelia Earhart's tragic determine haunting hangar no 1 at Purdue collage Airport and sightings of the ever-elusive Bigfoot, to haunted homes and battlefi elds, with a guillotine suicide within the Lahr lodge and the path of dying, authors Dorothy Salvo Davis and W.
This exam of the heroic trip in international mythology casts the protagonist as a personification of nature—a “botanical hero” one may perhaps say—who starts off the search in a metaphorical seed-like nation, then sprouts right into a interval of verdant power. however the hero needs to face a mythic underworld the place she or he contends with mortality and sacrifice—embracing loss of life as part of existence.
- Capturing the Moon: Classic and Modern Jewish Tales
- Old French Fairy Tales
- The Two Madonnas: The Politics of Festival in a Sardinian Community
- Shadows and Cypress: Southern Ghost Stories
- Ghosts of the Pee Dee (Haunted America)
Additional resources for A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)