By Timothy Stapleton
Based on a sequence of precise case experiences, this e-book provides the background of genocide in Africa in the particular context of African historical past, interpreting conflicts in international locations comparable to Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Namibia, Rwanda, and Sudan.
• presents an unheard of complete historical past of genocide in Africa that might serve scholars of background, conflict and society, and genocide in addition to basic readers
• Covers Africa's such a lot notorious genocides in addition to lesser-known instances of enormous scale atrocities
• Addresses occasions which are contested as genocides in Africa in contemporary heritage, together with the Nigerian Civil warfare in addition to occasions in Ethiopia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo
• Examines the ancient context for every of those occasions to obviously clarify how they occurred
Read or Download A History of Genocide in Africa (Praeger Security International) PDF
Best african history books
This ebook explores the phenomenon of Independence Days. those rituals had advanced meanings either within the territories involved and in Britain because the imperial metropole, the place they have been commonly suggested within the press. The textual content is worried with the political administration, linked rhetoric and iconography of those seminal celebrations.
During this publication, Nina Sylvanus tells an enthralling tale of world alternate and cross-cultural aesthetics in West Africa, exhibiting how a bunch of Togolese women—through the making and stream of wax cloth—became influential brokers of style and historical past. touring deep into the moving terrain of fabric manufacture, layout, and alternate, she follows wax textile worldwide and during time to unveil its serious position in colonial and postcolonial styles of alternate and price creation.
This document has been professionally switched over for exact flowing-text booklet layout replica. On March 23, 1991 a insurgent workforce in japanese Sierra Leone referred to as the progressive United entrance (RUF) ignited a civil warfare in that kingdom that may final over ten years and finally lead to the demise of over 50,000 civilians.
For centuries, the biblical tale of the Curse of Ham was once marshalled as a justification of serfdom, slavery and human bondage. in accordance with the parable, having visible his father Noah bare, Ham's is cursed to have his descendants be endlessly slaves. during this new ebook the Curse of Ham is explored in its Reformation context, revealing the way it grew to become the cornerstone of the Christian defence of slavery and the slave exchange for the following 400 years.
- Peasant and Empire in Christian North Africa (Transformation of the Classical Heritage)
- Performing al-Andalus: Music and Nostalgia across the Mediterranean (Public Cultures of the Middle East and North Africa)
- Djibouti Art and Culture: Conflict and political crises
- Religion and the Making of Nigeria (Religious Cultures of African and African Diaspora People)
- Mon incroyable périple (Mémoires, témoignages) (French Edition)
Extra resources for A History of Genocide in Africa (Praeger Security International)