By Chouki El Hamel
Read or Download Black Morocco: A History of Slavery, Race, and Islam (African Studies) PDF
Similar african history books
This booklet explores the phenomenon of Independence Days. those rituals had advanced meanings either within the territories involved and in Britain because the imperial metropole, the place they have been widely pronounced within the press. The textual content is worried with the political administration, linked rhetoric and iconography of those seminal celebrations.
During this publication, Nina Sylvanus tells a charming tale of world alternate and cross-cultural aesthetics in West Africa, displaying how a bunch of Togolese women—through the making and circulate of wax cloth—became influential brokers of flavor and background. touring deep into the transferring terrain of cloth manufacture, layout, and exchange, she follows wax textile world wide and during time to unveil its serious function in colonial and postcolonial styles of trade and price creation.
This record has been professionally switched over for actual flowing-text booklet layout replica. On March 23, 1991 a insurgent workforce in japanese Sierra Leone often called the innovative United entrance (RUF) ignited a civil conflict in that kingdom that may final over ten years and finally bring about the loss of life of over 50,000 civilians.
For centuries, the biblical tale of the Curse of Ham was once marshalled as a justification of serfdom, slavery and human bondage. in keeping with the parable, having noticeable his father Noah bare, Ham's is cursed to have his descendants be ceaselessly slaves. during this new booklet the Curse of Ham is explored in its Reformation context, revealing the way it grew to become the cornerstone of the Christian defence of slavery and the slave exchange for the subsequent 400 years.
- Regional Economic Outlook, October 2008: Sub-Saharan Africa: Sub-Saharan Africa (October 2008)
- Land, Mobility, and Belonging in West Africa: Natives and Strangers
- Medicine and the Saints: Science, Islam, and the Colonial Encounter in Morocco, 1877-1956
- Le 17 octobre des Algériens (POCHES ESSAIS) (French Edition)
- Black Reconstruction in America (The Oxford W. E. B. Du Bois): An Essay Toward a History of the Part Which Black Folk Played in the Attempt to Reconstruct Democracy in America, 1860-1880
- Weaving a Malawi Sunrise: A Woman, A School, A People (Wayfarer)
Additional info for Black Morocco: A History of Slavery, Race, and Islam (African Studies)